Thursday, August 10, 2006

Give me liberty or give me...

Plenty of people are writing about the foiled plot, I shall not add to the din.

I have heard, after some shock has worn off, the same refrain from the left about liberties and security:

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security"


And I am really tired of the thought process that thinks that any attempt to protect people is a slippery slope to a police state. So, I sat down with the above saying and let it roll around in my pretty little head and I now have some responses to the dweebs:


1. He who would sacrifice security for liberty, seeks to act against his neighbors freely.

2. Liberty without security is like freeing the tiger from his cage, he will neither thank you, nor withhold his hunger.

3. Liberty is not freedom without security.

4. The monster at your door is not seeking security and sacrificing liberty, it is seeking your life; open the door at your peril.

5. Liberty without security is anarchy.

6. My security establishes a limit on your liberty, not mine.

Although 6 is my favorite, I leave you with the following thought:

Every night I lock my doors, I trade liberty for temporary security; do you want to give up YOUR locks?

No comments: