Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Position - Wills and dying

I left home in 1977, I was 19. I had a will. It is 2005, I still have a will, it has been updated dozens of times. I wish to be cremated, no service, please, have a party and drink responsibly.
I do not want extraordinary measures, no life support if there is no meaningful brain activity or hope of recovery. No one in my family and none of my friends are unclear about the above.

Twice in my adult life I have known families that ignored the specific verbal and written desires of a loved one that was dying. I made very little comment about the Terri Shaivo case. Victoria appeared on local TV and national TV about a year ago on it.

If you don't have a will, get one. If you do not have a living will, get one. If you have not told EVERYONE exactly what your desires are, and put it in writing, do it.

The Republicans made a huge mistake getting involved in that case.

No comments: